College membership is for life.
From that first interdisciplinary discussion around the dinner table, you become part of a unique and vibrant network of forward-thinking scholars, artists, activists and change-makers.
Stay connected with us—near or far—and continue the conversation.Go To: Is Green College the right fit for you?
As a member of Green College, you are connected to a community of inspiring people and possibilities.
The College community begins with Resident Members, who are College members for life. While at the College, they are encouraged to volunteer for various committees—from arts, sports, to student wellness and more. Communal living promotes a strong sense of community, inspiring residents to create, learn from each other and expand their academic horizons.
After residency, these Resident Members become Green College Society Members, joining a dynamic network of over 1,000 former residents and associated faculty across the world. Society Members have many opportunities to return to the College, whether through a reunion or current social and academic events.
Each year, we welcome a diverse array of talented academics to enrich the residential experience. Faculty members and invited scholars are encouraged to participate in College life, from lectures to new learning opportunities, including in the following ways:
- UBC faculty members can become members of the College, but do not take up residence;
- UBC faculty members can nominate outstanding scholars to live at the College through the Cecil H. and Ida Green Visiting Professorship program;
- Special visitors are welcome to join any of our interdisciplinary talks and continue the discussion over a three-course dinner.
Together, through conversations and community involvement, these three groups form the College environment—always changing, undeniably creative and distinctly interdisciplinary.
The College seeks Resident Members who can:
- Demonstrate academic distinction and the potential to be active, contributing participants in the community;
- Express a clear interest in the interdisciplinary mandate of the College;
- Contribute to interdisciplinary conversation over dinner, a staple of College life. This means participating in the mandatory meal plan, which includes:
- Breakfasts Monday through Friday
- Dinners Sunday through Thursday
In determining resident membership, the College also strives to achieve diversity in academic discipline, gender and international representation.