Firestarters must remain on watch while the fire is lit, or have a clear designate responsible to watch the fire until it’s extinguished. Anyone should be able to walk into the Piano Lounge and ask who the responsible person is. If a Firestarter cannot stay for the duration of an event or gathering, please use this form to indicate who the responsible person is.
Fireplaces in Common Spaces
Green College has wood-burning fireplaces. Resident Member volunteers are approved by the Green College Office for fire-lighting and woodcutting duties. To have the fireplace lit on a cold day, two main criteria must be met:
- Benefit. The use of the fireplace is generally restricted to organized events and activities where several members and/or guests would benefit from it.
- Responsibility. Someone must be present at all times and be clearly responsible for tending to and extinguishing the fire
- Both criteria (benefit, responsibility) must be met before lighting a fire will be considered.
- The fireplace may only be lit by Green College staff member or an approved resident “Firestarter.”
- During office hours, only Green College staff may authorize a fire.
- Outside those hours, a Firestarter may authorize and light a fire